Friday 16 March 2012

Constructing the Double Page Spread in Photoshop

First I started off by opening up a new document in Photoshop, this time it was a A3 landscape document to make my double page spread.
I opened up an original image in Photoshop and edited the blemishes on her skin by using the spot healing brush tool. I also added a large headline and a smaller version of my masthead to the corner to create continuity across all the three elements of my magazine.
I then edited my large headline by selecting Layer>Layer Style>Outer Glow and gave the text a purple outer glow creating continuity through the house style of the colours black, white and purple. I also added three other images to create an image column down the right-side of my double page spread, these reflect the large headline of "Many Faces..."
I then added my main body text to my double page spread using Microsoft Publisher, alongside the text I added a drop cap and pull out quote, these are conventional features of a double page spread and make it look increasingly professional.
I then added columns to my main body text as that is generally what they use in magazine double page spreads.
I added the pull out quote within one of the columns and a drop-cap to the beginning of my main body text - this needs to be changed to purple to stay within my chosen house-style.

Since completing a first draft for my double page spread I have taken some more photos and re-thought the layout. After looking at other magazines and their main feature star in the double page spread, a majority of the time they are wearing different clothes than they were in the front cover, to show off how the artist can be versatile and what happened during the photo shoot. Therefore I have decided to take some more photos, to add to the number of original images that I need to complete the brief. Before, in my first draft, my model was wearing the same clothes as the front cover and I believe it would be a more realistic magazine if her clothes were different. I have the image below for my double page spread image. I dressed my model in a white, feminine blouse and pearls to represent her elegant persona.
This is my original image that I have chosen to use within my double page spread.

I then opened it up in Photoshop and edited it appropriately to create a professional  looking image.
I used the spot healing brush tool to get rid of any blemishes on my model's face.
I then added my main image to the background that I have opened in Photoshop. I added a smaller version of my Masthead to the corner to create continuity.
I then added a background shape to put behind my large headline text, I selected Edit>Transform>Rotate to turn the shape on a side like a banner across one corner of my double page spread.
I then changed the colour of the background shape behind my large headline text, to keep within my chosen house-style colours of purple, white and black.
I then zoomed into my image to see my model's face more clearly and edited the image again using the spot healing brush tool.
I added my "Mirror mirror..." onto one line of text rather than two.
I changed the font of my large headline from TW Cen MT Condensed to Vivaldi - changing it from a sans serif to a serif font, which I think is more suitable to reflect the artist and her band's persona.
I then added my main body text by opened my saved Photoshop JPEG image in Microsoft Publisher, I inserted three text boxes into Publisher and linked them all so that if any text didn't fit it would automatically go into the next text box.
I then added a crease line so that I would know where the fold would be if it were printed into a publication, also that would help me to know if me text ran into the half-way mark. I also added a graphical feature to the top-right of the spread, this was done in purple and TW Cen MT Condensed against a white background keeping within my house sty
I then added a drop cap to the beginning of the main body text, this is a conventional feature of a double page spread. I made my drop cap purple and Vivaldi to keep within my chosen house style.
I then made my main body text TW Cen MT Condensed to keep within my chosen house style, I also made the main body text size 12 because I think that this is an appropriate size for this text as it needs to be readable but not draw away the reader's eye from the main feature. I also justified all of my main body text to make the double page spread look professional.
I then added a pull-out quote to the right side of my double page spread,  in white and font Pristina keeping an element of continuity from the quotes on my contents page.
To finish off I added a byline and a photo credit underneath my large headline. I chose to use the font TW Cen MT Condensed in white and purple.
To finish off my double page spread I moved the byline above my large headline and a dateline (in TW Cen MT Condensed) next to my small version of my Masthead and a page number in the corner (in Broadway.)

1 comment:

  1. Jennie, post all your new images with comments on what you were trying to achieve.

    ReplyDelete